Friday, October 8, 2010

Little Ones

This week I have been at a different school every day.
I started out the week as usual. On Monday I went to my school and worked with my group of kids. My group has about 25 kids in it and our whole school averages about 54 I believe. Tuesday I went to a school who had 109 kids in the YMCA program and every single kid I talked to lied to me, most talked back with horrible attitudes, some of them literally pulled on me whining about one thing or another, and my overall experience was less than delightful. On Wednesday I drove 30 minutes out to north Round Rock and worked at the largest school YMCA has in there program. There were over 200 kids enrolled and that was complete madness. The kids don't listen and they are purposefully rude and disobedient because they know there's really not much we can do! SO frustrating! And Yesterday I drove another 30 minutes out to Round Rock to work at the school I worked at last year and found all the staff I worked with were gone and most of the kids I worked with weren't there either.
There were probably 75 kids at this school and a lot of yelling from the counselors. The youngers were mean and several came to me crying about who hit them, threw rocks, scratched etc... it was crazy! BUT two pleasant things happened this week.
One, at the largest school. When we took the kids outside I watched a little boy hurling a basketball at a hoop. I watched for a while before offering to help him with his form. (I only know this because my husband taught me.) I repositioned his hands on the ball, one behind and slightly under it, and the other on the side to guide it. I showed him a few times and let him at it. He got SO excited when he realized he was much more accurate this way! That was a rewarding moment.
The second was yesterday. I was on the playground with the little kids and I sat on a bench for a moment and the cutest little fuzzy haired, plump bodied little boy came and just put himself in my lap.
"Well, hi!" I said laughing a little bit at his forwardness.
"hi" he said in a little voice holding my hand. "What's your name?"
"Miss Tiffany" I told him. "what's yours?"
"Diego"
"You are very friendly aren't you Diego?"
"Yes."
"Why are you so friendly?"
"I like friendly people. Are you wearing lipstick?"
I laughed and answered "No not right now."
"It kinda looks like you are." He looked into my face and asked "Can I see your eyes?"
I placed my sunglasses on my head and smiled at him. He gave me a little happy gasp and reported "You have dark green eyes. I like them." I smiled at him. What a precious boy! He wanted to hold my hand the rest of the time I was there.
This week has reminded me that times aren't what they used to be. Respect in children has diminished almost completely. Obedience, kindness, etc. These are rarities. It makes me sad... and weary. But I know OUR kids will have respect, obedience, kindness and sweetness and the truth of the gospel taught to them. They will be sweet kids!

Speaking of sweet children, I'm so pumped for my second shot with Allie next weekend. I have several ideas I want to do and I may just have to do some prop shopping!
I have this one idea I really want to do but couldn't find an example of it online. Allie has a cute little watermelon hat and I'd love to have JUST the hat on her with her laying in a watermelon bowl. How cute would that be!?

Also she has some tutus now so I want to do some shots like these:




I also love the baby in the basket idea. Like this:



It's also the same concept I want to do with the watermelon! =)

No comments: