Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Election Reflections

Let me just say that I hate politics! I have hidden and nearly unfriended people from facebook because over the past several weeks it has been used as a platform not only to endorse certain political figures but to slander the opponent as well.

I was as informed as someone like me can be about the huge issues of our nations and the platforms of the candidates. My husband did research and we spoke with people we love and trust and we did our part and voted (Though I'm not sure mine was counted because I voted out of district.)

Now we have our President for the next four years and while I may not have voted for him or agree with his policies, he is still our president. A national leader, and as far as I'm concerned he should automatically have my respect, simply because I am to respect the authorities.
It makes me sad to see and hear such negative and unChrist-like remarks from Christians, not only aimed at our President but at our country for "choosing" him.
Has anyone stopped to think that if God didn't want him to be our President He could have prevented it? Maybe what is to come is all a part of God's plan for this nation. I don't know, I don't understand half of what this could mean for our future and as soon as my husband and I have the chance I know we would love to sit down with Mom and Dad Brown and pick their brains on the matter knowing that their central focus is not on man but on God.

I am disappointed. Not so much in the outcome of the election but in the reaction of so many of "God's People" The world already views us as people of hate, condemnation, and hypocrites. We are already working against things we are not, and when we react against our nation and it's leader we are not doing the Kingdom of God ANY favors.
"They will know we are Christians by our love" And yet Christians can be some of the most ruthless politically envolved that I have ever known.
Our faith and the actions that spring forth from that faith should set us a part from the world in such a way that presents light in the darkness. But where is our faith if we are so changed, enraged, or in despair over the outcome of who our earthly leader is? Is he not human? Because God is immortal, way beyond anything of a human! And as far as action; what good is complaining and spreading fear over what is to come? That is the wrong action in my opinion because who can know what is really to come?

I am not saying that I have no anxieties about what is to come. I know it might get a lot harder, and I have some fear of hardship, however, that fear is leveled with the faith I have both in my amazing God and my incredible husband who have provided for and looked after me and will continue to do so.
There is nothing qrong with being prepared but perspective is so easily lost.

Christians should not be just like the rest of the world except that we go to church every week. We should be defined by the God who saved us and therefore be living our lives for Him and with His Kingdom at the fore fronts of our minds, and not be caught up with the day to day life of this world.
God is bigger, and we should be better.

That is all.

No comments: