Thursday, October 18, 2012

Thursday!

Thursday is the mark of the last long day before our weekend arrives. I typically spend Thursdays grocery shopping, cleaning, doing laundry, cooking up a big meal that makes left overs and any other task that makes me feel productive and produces more organization in our living space.

Yesterday I got a head start by going through all of the clothes we have here at the apartment. Everything hanging up, everything in the drawers, and even the off season items in boxes.
We got rid of A LOT!
I noticed I had a lot of stuff from high school which I guess being 23 that's not really THAT bad, but several items were faded, a little too skimpy, a little too young, or just wouldn't fit a new mommy.
So we not have two small bags and a BIG overflowing box of Goodwill donations. And it makes me so happy to know that we will not be moving any of that back to our Home in Austin.
That felt SO good I decided I want to go through EVERYTHING like that and try to cut things nearly in half! So we went through our movies and got rid of anything we deemed unwholesome or simply boring, today I am going through a huge suitcase full of books, and by happenstance we have gotten rid of a whole box of kitchen things! (Nasty Bug Infestation on that one.)

I love the feeling of getting rid of junk. It makes my life feel cleaner! And it's not just because we are moving... I'm ahead of the game there because we've got two months, but still!
We are already receiving things for Hannah Kate, Christmas is coming up and after that Ryan and I both have a birthday in January and we will have showers for Hannah Kate.
Just a few short months after we move we will have collected a lot of new things, and I am no a hoarder. I grew up with a wise and organized Mommy who taught us to clean out our closets before Christmas. Make room for the new by getting rid of the old.
And even new stuff I am getting more choosy about. We all have those sweet people in our lives who give us very thoughtful gifts but those gifts never really have a place in our home for one reason or another. Well, Ryan and I both had a hard time getting rid of those things when we first got married because they were gifts! But if a year later they are in the same closet, it wouldn't have mattered if we did something with it a week after we got it.
We have always been on the same page about not allowing our children to become materialistic in this age of so much stuff, so we are starting before Hannah Kate even gets here. If we don't use it more than we store it, it doesn't have a place in our home. (With a few small exceptions)

Well, time to start my day! I'm off to the store.

No comments: