Monday, October 8, 2012

"Feels Like Home"

This weekend Ryan and I got to go down to Austin. The first time together since we moved back in June. The weather was absolutely PERFECT for October, and a rarity in Texas. Driving down 130, passing out Pecan Street exit and then the Kelly Lane exit and out shopping center etc, was very strange after being gone even only several months. And in Mom and Dad's neighborhood there are what feels like a hundred new homes and features!

My mom and sister and I spent Saturday registering Hannah Kate for all the fun and lovely things she will need. I think I look at my registry every day just to go over what I have picked out for her and imagine what it will be like when she is here.
Ryan and I are both getting so excited and it is SO precious to me to see how excited Ryan is to meet her! The other day he said "Come out Hannah, I want to see you." I had to remind him that we don't want her to come until February because she has much more baking to do but we are officially on the other half of the waiting game at 21 weeks. Just (about) 19 more weeks to go. But I do LOVE his Daddy heart and enthusiasm and I loved seeing him with his little niece and nephew. He loved seeing them!

But while we were out shopping for Hannah Kate, getting a girly lunch, and finding fabrics for Hannah Kate's custom designed crib bedding, Ryan was out with his best friend Scott, enjoying the amazing weather with some baseball and a man lunch. It was good for him!

Saturday afternoon we got to visit with Joe and Sara and Sofia and Joe and Ryan talked shop a bit. Work stuff and family/dad stuff. Joe asked Ryan a little about the permanency of his Job down here in Houston and if we plan on moving again. To which Ryan said: "If we move again, it will probably be down here."
This made my heart glad! I have been trying so hard to be content here and find good and joyful things about God's plan for us here but I never allowed myself the glimmer of hope that it might only be temporary. That maybe we will end up back home in the Austin area.

Sunday morning was relaxing and brought up some incredibly awesome conversations with my mom and dad and Ryan and I got excited for our future, and our growing little family. When Mom and Dad went to church we got ourselves some Starbucks and had some of our own really good conversations and decided we are not going to sell our home in Pflugerville.
It has been such a burden and stress to find a home here for the start of our family. And if we do decide to move back home, we have a place for us there. So my prayer is that God supplies the right renters until, (Lord Willing!) we get to make it our own again.

Ryan's job and education here are such a blessing and that plus the growth as individuals and in our marriage has been great. It hasn't been easy, or fun, but we are seeing good fruit. I do not doubt that this is where God has us for now. But once Ryan is done with school and is officially a journeyman, and we may have baby number 2 on the way, our options are open, and back home sounds like a good place to go from there!

After our lovely time at the Pumpkin Patch and getting to see Jeremy and Avery (Who make a stunning couple!) Ryan and I got back on the road. And as we passed by Pflugerville again I simply noted: "This is wonderful weather. This weekend has really made me miss it here. My whole family loves this time of year and relishes this kind of weather. This feels like home." I was not lamenting, just cherishing! And to my surprise my sweetie replied: "I miss it here too. I guess it is true, you don't know what you have until it's gone. But I think it helps that everyone in the family is now in a pretty happy, pretty healthy time in life."
Our conversation went all over the place after that and Ryan went on to tell me that he really does love Houston and I wouldn't expect anything less. I think the reason why I love Austin is because I grew up there, and most of my family is there. Why wouldn't Ryan feel that way about his hometown?

And we both agree that if we moved back to Austin in 3 to 5 years it wouldn't be because Houston didn't work out! It would be because that was the length of time our family needed to be in Houston! If not for the extreme growth in adulthood right before our first baby, or the most excellent teaching, training, and experience Ryan is getting as he works towards becoming a journeyman.

I just feel refreshed and patient and strong knowing that we may be going home, at least what I call home, sooner than I ever allowed myself to think.  :)

No comments: