Saturday, May 11, 2013

MOTHER'S DAY!!!

:::FLASH BACK:::

Last Mother's Day I remember sitting between church services talking to a friend from small group, choking back tears as I tried to pretend Mother's Day wasn't the most agonizing day of the year for me.
It was even the chosen day for baby dedications and all I could think of was why God didn't seem to hear my prayers to join the ranks of motherhood.


:::FLASH FORWARD:::

This year I have my precious Hannah-Kate and a few months of Motherhood under my belt and this day is a celebration of my answered prayers and the joy I have found in being a Mommy.
I love my baby girl SO much and being Mom is the best working title/career I can think of to invest my time in!

This morning I got to have a relaxed and immensely enjoyable breakfast with my mom at one of our favorite restaurants.
We talked about church, family, homeschooling, women's roles, books and movies, what's going on in our lives and how we can pray for each other this coming week! Does it get any better than that?! :)
It means the world to me to hear that MY mom is proud of my mothering! I've only been a mommy for about 12 weeks, I don't have a lot of experience and trust me, I have days where "The flesh is weak" but my mom who is so highly acclaimed (Well Earned!) at being a wife, mom, mentor etc. Is proud of the little bit of Mommy-ing that I've been blessed to do. :)
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ME!

If you don't know my mom you probably don't get it.
If you are familiar with Proverbs 31 and how it basically lays out the perfect woman as wife and mom and just Godly Woman... well, then you might just be familiar with my mom.

She not only raised six kids with very different and vibrant personalities, but she taught all of us at home at some point. She is totally hands on, in it to win it kind of a mom.

I LOVE talking shop with her and why we raise our children this way and that and what the Bible says about love and discipline and our role as Mommy.

I have learned SO much from my mom but I think the thing that sticks with me the most now that I am a Mommy, and the thing I have always come back to is a simple one word term:

"Cultivate"

My parents never expected us to be perfect or do right just because. The behavior they wanted and expected from us as well as knowledge and other things was all a part of the cultivation they put into our lives.

The vivid image of a dedicated gardener is forever ingrained in my mind. To have bright, beautiful, rich, nutritious plants, you have to work at it. Cultivate them! Turn the soil so it's soft and absorbent, Plant seeds at the right depth for the right plant and the proper season, water constantly, shelter from bad weather, give it plenty of bright sunshine, etc.
All of that is parenting! Preparing the hearts of young children = soil
Taking advantage of teachable moments at the proper age and time of a child = Planting seeds
Lots of Water! = Truth! Why we do what we do as it lines up with the Bible, who God is and how that affects us.
Sunshine = Love and encouragement!
Shelter from bad weather = Just that! Sheltering children from the evil of the world until they are old enough, established enough, strong enough to handle it.

This picture is beautiful! And ever present in my mind thanks to my incredible Mom!
Thanks Mama!
I'm proud to be one of your "plants"
Happy Mother's Day!   

2 comments:

Mama B said...

Thanks so much, sweet girl. What a lovely tribute. I am so very proud of you!

I love you,
Mama

Anonymous said...

The Pay Per Click Services Company strive for - to get
your site analyzed by a consultant. Life After PenguinWhile it's much easier to blame Google and sign a petition begging Google to kill its Penguin update?

Stop by my webpage seo search engine marketing