Sunday, October 9, 2011

Thoughts...

The seasons are finally changing. Autumn is my favorite season and yet the most quiet, reflective, and nostalgic. These are not the things on my mind when I think about Autumn being my favorite season. The things I do reflect on are the colors; red orange yellow brown. It is my favorite color grouping. I also think about new beginnings, probably related to school as I was growing up. I think about peaceful music, cool weather floating in through open windows and a clean home. Also products of my growing up.
But now that the clouds have finally brought some much needed rain and the season feels as though it has finally arrived and I am overwhelmed by memories and nostalgia which is not necessarily a bad thing it's just very strange to remember years not that long ago but that seem so distant and far away. Life changes and goes by so quickly.
Something I heard in a sermon today is how so many Christians live life as though they are driving a car without any destination in mind, aimless, purposeless.
I don't want to be that way, at all! In fact this weather has actually helped pull me out of life's routine so that I can reflect, and that's a very good thing. Upon reflection I have rediscovered goals that have fallen to the way side because of business, fatigue, and forgetfulness.
I have mentioned some future goals in a blog not so long ago so I won't repeat any of that, these are more short term goals.
I want to finish novels I've started, and be brave enough to send them to publishers.
I want to get back into music, singing it, writing it, learning it. We have a beautiful old piano in our living room that needs some love but I see family music lessons taking place in our living room. Ryan and I have been wanting to learn to play but now we see beautiful foster children laughing at us as we try to learn with them.
I want to work on getting outside more now that there is not an immediate threat of heat related health issues. I want to work out more.
I think we will join the Y with a family membership and all go together several nights a week, it's also a great way to get foster children into a free sports league and give them the encouragement and cheering that every kid should have when pursuing something they love.
I want to spend more time being reflective and asking important questions. I want my thoughts and my rest time to be more purposeful. And I want to encourage such thinking and questions in children who stay in our home.
I want to have an on hand curriculum for preschoolers we home, and a good family bible time activity in mind that works for most ages.
I want a purpose driven life.

No comments: