Thursday, February 5, 2009

Spiritualt Realms and Warfare

Visual people like myself don't seem to have a ability to skim over topics like spiritual warfare and spiritual realms.
What does that look like?
I've thought about it several times over and even though I'm sure I'm probably way far off, picturing what I'm going through in a "Screw tape Letters" type way has proved some what beneficial.
For instance...

I am aware that one of my greatest weaknesses is fully relying on God for acceptance, worth, and control. (Meaning, HE is in control INSTEAD of me.) I feel very tried and anxious when... oh I don't know... let's just say everything I'm used to and comfortable with gets thrown out the window... so what would a crazy circumstance like that look like?

Suddenly feeling like my schedule must change.
Suddenly not so sure about college direction.
New job and current/old job balance.
The house I grew up in and have lived in for the past 12 years being put on the market.
The house constantly going through changes.
My room being perfect in someone Else's expectations, and somehow not feeling like my little place anymore.
Feeling like I can't keep up in school.
My best behaved student being diagnosed with cancer at only 3yrs old,
Lack of sleep,
Worry for Dad's job
Credit card and phone bills due.
Debts that need paid off,
and not enough money to do it.

How about that? That looks like a good enough random list that might make a person feel a little anxious, right?

Okay so now we have:
~our character: Me
~the character's weaknesses: Control, Acceptance, Worth, and Lack of Faith
~and now we have the circumstance the character is in: (See the stress listed above)

Let's translate this into a visual version of spiritual warfare:

It's dark, cold, and quiet. Whispers are heard from every direction. I walk carefully forward, looking every which way, trying to be aware of anything that could hinder me. A sharp hissing is heard and red smoke comes up from the darkness in front of me, revealing a creature of hideousness.
"Turn around child," He says to me. "Save yourself time and agony. You CAN'T do this. You are a known failure, worthless in every way."
I stop for a moment and ponder. Mustering up my strength I push through the creature and it vanishes.
I keep walking in the blackness, placing one foot in front of the other, the only way I know to keep moving.
The whispering gets louder until I hear hissing in my ear. I turn to face... nothing. There's no one there but the hissing still comes from just over my shoulder.
"You've never succeeded in this before. What makes you think you can now?"
"I walk not by my own strength." I reply, still walking. The hiss continues,
"You have many more weaknesses than strengths, so much to get done and absolutely no control. Your room is not your own, you have no sanctuary. Your freedom has been stripped. Don't you know if you had one little thing to control all by yourself you would feel better."
"Even in my weaknesses God can be glorified. He will provide, He's in control so I don't have to be. My room is not my own, nothing is. God has given me all I have and can take it away at will. My freedom is in Christ not things. Control on this earth is meaningless, it will all pass away."
The hissing fades to a whisper again and my stride feels stronger. I walk faster.
A roar of fire flashes to my left and then to my right. Two more creatures to face.
"Come and follow me, turn from your path, I will make you beautiful and all the world will love you." I turn to my right and face the creature. Suddenly it's gorgeous, it smiles enticingly.
"Do not love the world or the things in the world..." I begin to recite.
"Stop!" The creature screams. "You know you desire beauty and acceptance. You are wretched, unloved, and denied!"
"Beauty is fleeting, acceptance from the world is not for God's children, and you are a liar. Away with you!" The creature vanishes and I feel even stronger. Then a tug from the left brings my attention to the other creature.
"Come with me and I will give you success. I will give you natural intelligence, and talents beyond your wildest dreams. You will be rich and worth much."
"Away with you!" I yell in defiance, confident in my stance. "My talents are God given, my purpose is in Him and my treasure is with Him in heaven."
The creature vanishes and here I am, back in my room... typing this blog... about to read my Bible, pray, and go to sleep.

Perhaps this blog is random, maybe slightly dangerous because of it's slightly dark content, but I feel like when I can visualize something, understand the enemy's strategy just a little bit more, I am more prepared for battle.

There's a reason so many preachers use stories and visual aides in their sermons. We think and respond differently to such things.
In the right dosage, and content, I think it's beneficial.
So take it for what it is, the weekend is already here and another week is about to start, take hold of something sturdy *cough* CHRIST *cough* and be prepared for anything!

No comments: