Sunday, August 31, 2014

Diapers, Pull ups and Panties Oh My!

Well, it has been a full week of hard core potty training with lots of messes and ups and downs.
My biggest failure this week has most definitely been my lack of patience and the presence of frustration. This has brought me to tears as I saw it cause stress in Hannah Kate and regression in making it to the potty.
Friday night I sat in my bubble bath lamenting my failure as a Mommy to my husband and he tried to help me think through the best way to proceed. We had a long weekend ahead with my partner here to help.

I began to think about the most difficult or frustrating aspects of our weak and explained them to Ryan.
- I can't get anything done because she will have an accident if I'm not right there with her (She was going naked.)
- We can't leave the house without lots of stress and mess which makes for very long days. (We were using thick training panties when leaving the house, and HK always had several accidents)
- HK has a terrible diaper and yeast rash from the wet panties and just very sensitive skin which is near impossible to treat when she runs around naked sitting all of the floors and sofa and potty.
- But above all I feel like the number one set back was me. I just couldn't seem to handle the emotions as a mommy trying to potty train and I'm hoping a lot of that is pregnancy hormones.

SO, with all of these things in mind and my sweet and patient husband behind me with full support and a long weekend available to work it all out; we decided to move forward in potty training and move forward with an off brand of Pull Ups!

This would make leaving the house a lot easier but still allow HK to learn how to take off and pull up her pants. It also takes the pressure off of both of us to force pottying and stressing about "if it's time to pee pee" and makes it easy it brush off accidents. It ALSO makes it where I can slather HK's little bum in ointment without it getting all over the place. (Not to mention it keeps her more comfortable and helps keep her hands off infected areas.)
I struggled with this decision because of bad reviews about how this delays training and is expensive. However we didn't want to give up and this Mommy was hating the emotional toll on both me and HK so longer wasn't an issue for me as long as we could both relax a bit more.

To my surprise Hannah Kate embraced the "Pull Ups" She seemed more relaxed and confident immediately but didn't stop telling us when she needed to go, in fact she communicated even better. Everyone has been more relaxed and stress free and HK has only had accidents twice this weekend, and that was when she was with Gigi and in the church nursery and she still had successes in both environments! This is the best break through we have had this week with no signs of letting up!
Once her accidents stop nearly completely we will move to the training panties and then the normal cotton ones. Hannah Kate seems to do better in smaller steps rather than drastic changes.

We are ALL very excited about this and feel like we can resume normal activities this week.

In other news!

Hannah Kate met her new cousin for the first time, and she is obsessed with her! She asks to hug her when she is around and says hi to her and "I wudge you Bebe" and lays her head on her little tummy. :) This was SO encouraging to me as HK is a little easily excited and ... well boisterous. We have been working with baby dolls a lot lately to prepare her for her little brother and it seems she is learning very well! She was SO sweet to her baby cousin and likes to talk about her now. She will be so excited to see her again today for her naming ceremony. :)

No comments: